Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wonder Baby Wednesday #5


Wonder Baby Powers, activate! Form of.... Wonder Bread Baby!

We don't feed her the stuff*, but labeling her with the sticker from the novelty sandwich box was a great opportunity for a funny Wonder Baby Wednesday picture.

*Particularly after an experiment where a number of slices of the "bread" lay in the yard, stubbornly not decomposing, for over a month.**

**I want to be clear, after having read an article about whether mommy bloggers are in the crosshairs for doing "product reviews," that this is in no way meant to be defamatory; anyone who still wants to eat it is certainly welcome to do so. In fact, I know many people with fond childhood memories that involve a slice of enriched white bread, some butter, and a coating of sugar. I'm just saying that I don't want to eat it, and therefore Eme will be missing out as well. :)

...

4 comments:

  1. Personally I don't think "mommy bloggers" or anyone should be in the crosshairs for doing personal opinion blogs on any product. You are allowed to have your opinions same as anyone else... if you don't like the stuff then why should the companies be able to tell you to keep your mouth shut.

    In a time of so many overweight people who eat the wrong stuff just because the commercials make it look good, what's wrong with telling the truth about something you have observed.

    Companies are only required to test a small portion of the products they are marketing in order to assure the public that it meets some minimum requirements or so that they can print their labels with the "appropriate" nutritional values. But this is a test of some smaller subset of the whole; any intelligent person will tell you there is likely to be a fluctuation in the actual results of any one small portion as compared to another small portion in the same batch no matter how consistently the batch is prepared.

    Keep supplying your personal opinions, frankly I appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find your Wonder Bread experiment disconcerting. However, I find that with the exception of use for Grilled Cheese sandwiches, I become tired of Wheat bread. What would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Friday after our staff luncheon, the secretary tried to pawn a bag of buns off on me on my way out the door. I tried very tactfully to decline, but she wouldn't back off. Finally, I just said, "We don't eat white bread." That shut her up really quickly. Good for you for eating nutritious food and serving it your family as well!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gen: don't worry, I'll keep giving you my opinions. That's what you're here for, right?

    Anonymous: Andreas and I don't eat much bread anymore, we mostly just get tortillas and do wraps. However, I do think there are great breads available -- just be sure you know who made them and what's in them. For example, there's a fantastic bread at a local bread store (Great Harvest) called "Dakota Bread" that is certainly not your typical wheat bread, and is made fresh there every day that they make it. And not all white bread is always bad... if I eat it, I try to eat that kind of thing in moderation.

    Sarah: Secretaries and their buns. What can you do? Good for you, too.

    Thanks, all, for your comments!

    ReplyDelete