Sunday, May 31, 2009

Percents and Percentiles

We recently went to the Doctor for Eme's 15-month check-up and it has inspired me to think more about percents...
  • 10th-25th The percentile of Eme's weight
  • 25th-50th The percentile of Eme's height
  • 50th-75th The percentile of Eme's head circumference ("It's like an orange on a toothpick")
  • 90 Approximate percent of me that now feels confident as a mother (I still have my days)
  • 75 Approximate percent guilty I (still) feel when Eme gets her vaccinations (100% of me knows it's best, but only 25% of me believes it right at the moment she gets the shot and looks at me as if to say, "mommy, how could you?")
  • 70 Approximate percent of my time that I spend doing housework and taking care of Eme (the other time is me sleeping, working, or having a quick, rare moment to relax with Andreas)
  • 50 Approximate percent of my time that I thought I'd be devoting to housework and Eme (but it's never an equal split, is it? Silly mommy.)
  • 25 Approximate percent of my own identity that I feel I have left (I sometimes even refer to myself as "mommy" in my own head)
  • 10 Approximate percent of me that can remember life before Eme
  • 1 Approximate percent that cares to try to remember life before Eme
  • 99.9 Approximate percent chance that Eme is the best baby that has ever existed (I've left the .1% for possible parental bias)
What percentages have you been experiencing in your life?

...

1 comment:

  1. --- 99.9% sure that I want to have a baby (I've left that .1% for my potential moments of indecision and fear).
    --- 110% sure that I will love my new baby girl when she is born ('cus I love her already and she is just a wiggly squiggle in my tummy).
    --- 70% of my time is spent thinking about who my baby will be and how Daniel & I will help her to learn and grow.
    --- 20% of my time is spent trying to sleep comfortably and wondering why it should wake me when she wiggles about at night.
    --- 10% of my time is spent missing my American family and hoping that web cam and blogging will suffice when I want to share the cute things that Juliette (EDD 15 July, 2009) is doing.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete