Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mommy goes to the prom

I'm going to be 30 in a few weeks. That means a lot of different things. Some people feel old at 30, or like you've reached the "real" barrier to adulthood.

As you may have guessed by the title of this post, I went to Prom on Friday night. 30 wasn't making me feel old before, but I did at the prom.

The biggest thing that made me feel old? Some of those dresses were WAY too short. All of a sudden I was seeing things as a parent and I thought "did their mothers see them in those dresses?!"

I'll post them if I can get a hold of some of the pics (surprisingly, we didn't even bring a camera, but lots of other people from whom we can probably get some did, including both of our moms taking pics of us before we left -- yes, just like old times -- and the teacher in charge of yearbook took plenty during the evening).

A few other things that made me feel old:
  • All of those kids (yes, I called them kids) looked like they were playing dress-up.
  • But they still looked better than me in many ways. (ways that Andreas is too good of a husband to ever point out, but which I noticed anyway)
  • Plus, I thought about what it was like at my prom and remembered taking it very seriously. Prom is such a big deal to high school students, but for me it was one night in a string of nights where I've gotten to get dressed up and be with Andreas. (Granted, this was the first big night out we've had since before the baby, but still a drop in the bucket compared to how the teens must have been feeling that night.

I've been to prom three times as an attendee, and now once as a chaperone. The first time is hardly worth mentioning (I was a sophomore, and split up with my then-boyfriend not long after prom). The next two times were with Andreas (yes, he and I were High School sweethearts), and chaperone duty was because he is a HS teacher, so I've now been to prom with him three times.

First prom with Andreas:
  • Spent a lot of time worrying about the dress.
  • Wondered whether he'd have a good time (we'd only been together for a few months).
  • Worried about every detail including dinner (at Amy's house -- her mom's a great cook!), makeup (went to get it done at a Clinique booth at the mall), hair (sisters helped me get it right), pictures (ordered a bunch to share), dancing (how much to dance? would he want to dance with me at the slow songs?), etc, etc, etc.
  • Had a great time.

Second prom with Andreas:
  • Spent less time worrying about my dress and more about Gillianne's (it was her prom that year, too).
  • Spent less time worrying about my dinner and more about Gillianne's date's (he chipped a tooth).
  • Worried exactly the same about makeup and hair (I've never been great with those things).
  • Danced about the same amount as last time, and ended up getting a hilarious video of us dancing with each other and singing to "Brown-Eyed Girl" onto the senior video.
  • Had a great time.

Third prom with Andreas, this past Friday:
  • Worried a little about my dress (how formal are chaperones supposed to be?).
  • Worried a little about my hair (mom and I went to get our hair done; too much?).
  • Worried a little about my makeup (I just chose not to wear much at all).
  • Didn't have to worry about dinner -- Andreas' school provides dinner at prom, and it was very good.
  • The most worrying I did was about whether Eme would go to sleep for Grandpa Guy. (Thanks for taking care of her, Dad!)
  • Didn't dance at all (don't want to come off as inappropriate when you're a chaperone, and plus it was threatening to turn into a mosh pit), but got to watch the dancing from up on the balcony and it was amazing to see the crush of high school bodies gyrating with abandon from that angle; did we look like that at our prom?
  • Had a great time.

...

3 comments:

  1. I'm confident you were the most beautiful lady there :) And also sure that your date didn't run out of gas, end up late or wreck his car then burn his hand on a piece that fell off.

    Yep, only went to one prom and it was fab! And next one I promise to be there for your hair and makeup :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put in my comment and Typepad had an issue with it. But what I said was I would have put the same amount of time into my make up but getting my hair done? Of course! I just love how you were able to walk into Friday's prom with your Prince Charming right next to you. you're linked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun you guys got to get all dressed up again. Hubs was in a wedding back in the fall and it was a blast to get him in a tux and me is a pretty dress and look all pretty together again:) I even MADE him dance with me and what luck would we have it that they would play our song from our first dance as a married couple.

    ReplyDelete