Friday, October 16, 2009

Another Nerd Handbook 2.0 moment

One of Eme's favorite restaurants, recently, has been "Big Cow."

That's what she calls Chick-Fil-A because of the poster of the big cow that stands at the entrance. It's probably not the food she likes best (though she likes both fruit and chicken, both of which she gets there). I imagine it's the play area.

She hangs like a monkey, slides down the slide ("beeeeeeeeeeeee!" Yes, that's her version of "whee"), and generally has a good time telling other kids to "go. goooooooooo!"

Recently, the toys that have been coming with the children's meal have been science-related, which I like. We have "collected" a graduated cylinder and a beaker, so far.

The other day (beaker day) I heard a mother asking what she was going to do with a graduated cylinder (even though she was holding a beaker). "What do I do, say 'here you go baby, here's a graduated cylinder?'"

A few points:
1) Technically, the science toys are for kids over 3; there are board books if you prefer a different toy for "babies." Since they're plastic, though, they're perfectly safe for Eme, which was why we didn't make a fuss about her being under 3.
2) What the mom was saying, that's basically what we did. We said "here you go, Emelie, here's a graduated cylinder" (about the actual graduated cylinder; for the beaker we said "here's a beaker"). She got really excited about it. What's wrong with that?
3) Eme had a fantastic time with her graduated cylinder and beaker. We gave them to her in the bath, and she spent her time measuring the bath water, pouring from one cylinder to the other. She became very sad when it was time to put them away.

I did mention to the mother (as I passed by her table) that I couldn't help overhearing and it happens that we use ours as bath toys. She just said, "oh."

I know. We're nerds. But we're okay with that.

It looks like our baby might be a nerd, too. We're certainly okay with that!

Turns out that the revision of the nerd handbook that she was working on in the womb has more science in it than my version did, though.

...

2 comments:

  1. Um, did I ever get a copy of this? I think mine was missing pages. Maybe Eme can lend me her new revised copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you got a copy, you know about it. I think you sometimes pretend you didn't, but I think you're a big nerd. :)

    ReplyDelete