Tuesday, November 16, 2010

2 am calls are never something you want

I usually stick to posting about Eme on this blog, but something funny happened to me over the weekend and I really wanted to share...

I got drunk-dialed.
And texted.
Multiple times.
By someone I've never met.

Allow me to re-create the timeline for you here (texts are verbatim):

Saturday to Sunday:

10:49 pm -- missed call from a number I didn't recognize, no message

11 pm -- text from same number: "Where you at"

12:13 am -- text from same number: "WherE you at" (yes, capitalized just like this)

12:41 am -- missed call from same number, no message

1:48 am -- missed call from same number, no message

1:53 am -- missed call from same number, no message (someone clearly wants to get a hold of someone, but probably not me)

1:57 am -- I have been wrenched from sleep and I'm wondering if someone does indeed want to get a hold of me, but when I see the texts I realize I'm probably being drunk dialed/texted. I call back and leave a message saying "I'm not sure who you are, I think you have the wrong number, please stop calling." I then text (to cover all bases) "I'm sorry, but I think you must be calling the wrong number."

1:58 am -- He's clearly too drunk to get the hint b/c he texts back with "It's Emmerr."

2:34 am -- Further drunk and still un-hint-able, he now texts "fuckkk" then "Wu" in quick succession. No idea what he might have been trying to send.

In the morning, I figure he'll probably wake up, listen to his voicemail, look at the text with a clear head, and realize the problem, and I'll probably never hear from him again.

Wrong.

Tuesday to Wednesday:

12:11 am -- Text from same number "twenty minutes my ass" (whomever his friend is, he should stop waiting for this person; he keeps getting disappointed)

7:48 am -- I receive the text upon waking up, and decide to attempt to clear things up with a text of my own: "Dude, you've still got the wrong number. I have no idea what you're taking about, nor who you are. Please check with whomever's number you think this is and get the right one from him."

11:14 am -- Return text from the drunk dialer: "Ha fine my bad man. I thought you were my friend but you were just fucking with me on saturday"

11:56 am -- Thinking I'll acknowledge the joke by laughing along, I decide to text back (which turns out to be a mistake): "Nope. I really don't know who you are."

11:57 am -- He clearly misinterprets my tone via text message and sends back "Ok buddy calm down"

I realize that there is really no reason for me to text back. There's every reason for me to be cranky given that he called repeatedly at early hours and could have woken my toddler, but he didn't, and I'm not. Frankly, I think the whole thing is pretty hilarious.

I have been reminded of two important lessons:

1) don't expect people (particularly if they're drunk-dialing you) to recognize subtlety or tone via text message, so spell out exactly what you mean

2) everything has a funny side :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment